BabyFetus Ticker

August 23, 2009

Sunday Afternoon In The Park

The Washington Park Arboretum was designed by James Dawson of the Olmsted Brothers firm, and was developed in the 1930's with WPA funds and labor. Among the Arboretum's 20,000 trees, shrubs and vines, more than 10,000 are catalogued in collections. 4,600 different species are cultivated varieties from around the world, and 750 of the taxa were collected in the wild. 139 plants in the Washington Park Arboretum on the endangered species list. 95% of the Arboretum's collections are on display. Collections include rhododendron, azalea, mountain ash, pine, spruce, cedar, fir, crabapple, holly, magnolia, camellia, and Japanese maple.
Found some lily pads. This is a very popular spot for kayaking or canoeing.

There were tons of wooden stairs that brought you to many amazing landscapes. This was like an Architectural Landscaper's heaven.

I loved the way the trees lined up and just framed and canopied the road.

Dave really liked the contrast of light and dark as we walked this path, I told him he should take the photo since he eyed the beauty. I couldn't convince him. But he did see something special here that's for sure.
Woodland Garden was amazing, and so tranquil, I felt like Monet himself would be inspired to paint another masterpiece.
The reflection in the water was so clear, I had to capture it.
This spot felt Japanese inspired.
We had no clue which path to choose we sensed the rewards we'd find with all of them. I guess more adventure's will await us here... Dave and I really have lots to explore here in Washington.

5 comments:

Mindi Blake said...

Just Checking...My Comment "thing" wasn't working. It works now.

The Bevans said...

Georgous pictures!

d.jo said...

You look like you have so much fun over there. Mitch and I know a couple who moved to Washington & moved back super fast because they didn't like it. I look at your posts & I wonder what the heck they were thinking! It's all what you make of it, I guess, and that goes for ANYWHERE you might live. You and David do a great job making yourselves part of wherever you live at and you do a great job finding fun things to do to help you enjoy it. People should be more like you when they move out of state...heck--I need to go do some fun things in the state where I live. haha We miss you guys. I most likely won't be able to come to Stephanie's shower, b/c that's right about when I'm due with my baby. If I can't make it to the shower to say hi because I've had my baby, you should come by for a bit to visit & say hi if it works out. We'd love to see you when you're in town.

Kath said...

I bet it smelled so good there...I can almost smell it thru the pics but not quite.

Mindi Blake said...

It was a bit of fresh air, that's for sure. Crisp and Clean. Very relazing!